Sunday, October 17, 2010

RAISE THE CUP - Some Card Show Pickups

In addition to some great finds for my 1 vs. 100 project, I was able to track down a few cards for my Raise The Cup project.

The more cards I find, the more I enjoy what the cards represent....that moment in a hockey player's life where they reach the pinnacle - the top of the mountain. I can only imagine what they must be thinking at the very moment the photo is taken.

Anyways, on with the show.


Ugh. Let's start with Crap Crapier. Have I mentioned that I am not a big fan of his?

This insert set has me intrigued though. I have never heard of it. It appears that it is from the 2008/09 Upper Deck Series II release. I'll have to keep my eye out for more.

Side note: One the back of the card, it says "Messier and Conn Smythe Trophy winner Brian Leetch brought the Cup on The Late Show with David Letterman, where it did "Stupid Cup Tricks."

I hate Messier even more now.


Now this.....this is a gorgeous card. My second Gillies in the project.

I'm starting to 'get' the idea of this set. Players tell their stories of the Stanley Cup. Hence - Tales of the Cup. So clever.

Clark's story is about how he used to take his dogs for a walk every day, as they were a big part of his life. When he won the Cup, he let the dogs eat from the bowl. "Why not? He's a good dog." Gillies said. Nice.


The last card I found from this insert set is Forsberg. Dude looks pretty happy. Bordering on giddy.

He has a neat story. Forsberg ranks as a pioneer when in 1996 he became the first player to take the Cup out of the continent when he boarded a flight to his native Sweden after the Av's triumph. Cool.


Here's another card from the Lord Stanley's Heroes subset from the 2007/08 Upper Deck Series I release.

The more I see Selanne play, the more I like him. I thought he was a cocky player when he was with the Jets, but his play nowadays is really solid. I think the lockout did him well allowing him to heal up. Good for Teemu.


Here's another from the insert set, Ryan Getzlaf. The newly named captain of the Ducks looks pretty overjoyed about hoisting the holy grail. This guy has accomplished quite a lot for such a young guy. And I think there is still more upside before he hits the cusp.


Pronger on the other hand is definitely on the downside. But you gotta admit, he still produces - especially when it counts. Love him or hate him, he's a gamer.

For the record, I'm not the biggest fan. Nice photo though.


The final card I found is from yet another insert set I have never heard of. Hardware Heroes I assume is a set that celebrates those who have won some trophies.

As much as I thought the Flames were robbed of the Cup in 2004, I was really happy to see Andreychuk hoist the Cup. That made Linden the longest serving player never to win the trophy at the time. What a dubious distinction.

Well, there you have it. Another good haul and a direction to look for future cards for my project.

Just for kicks, here's some video from the Islanders winning their first Cup in 1980. There were some others, but I couldn't embed. This one is pretty sweet though. Just look at the graphics, the camera angles....and that music. Sweet!



note: after watching the video, did you notice something interesting?

Current Collection - 21 cards

No comments:

Post a Comment