Sunday, July 31, 2011

RAISE THE CUP - Keeping An Eye Out

I've lived in the same city pretty much my entire life. I've been going to the same card show over the winter months for well over 10 years now. I hit up the same card stores (although not as frequently as I'd like to) and pretty much everyone who knows me has a pretty good idea as to what I collect.

So much so that there have been times where someone has kept an eye out for things I might like, and in some cases even picked cards up knowing I would probably be interested in them.

I've acquired a number of great items for my PC over the years from the help of others.

This card is a perfect example of that.


1996/97 Upper Deck
#240 Joe Sakic

A friend of mine asked me earlier in the week if I needed this card for my 'Raise The Cup' project. I searched through my cards and couldn't find it. I never got back to him about it and kind of put it in the back of my mind the past couple days.

So it was a nice surprise tonight when I met up with him and a few other friends and he simply handed it over. Looking for nothing in return.

Many people might say "It's just a cheap junk wax era base card". Wrong! It's a great reminder of what I enjoy about this hobby, and a perfect example of doing something nice for someone else. And it's a great photo of Sakic hoisting the Cup for the first time in his career. Cool!

It was a simple gesture, but there's no question that this card will keep with it a great memory, a good story and a smile on my face.

Thanks very much Dave for the help with my collection.

Current Collection - 40 cards

1 comment:

  1. Anytime! It's a sharp looking card if I do say so myself!

    ReplyDelete