Saturday, January 14, 2012

REVIEW - 2010/11 Panini All Goalies

It was the first card show of 2012 and I had been looking forward to it all week. I was gung-ho for heading down there when the doors opened at 10:00 am.

Yeah......that plan didn't work out so good.

So about 12:30, I trot in looking for a few deals (and hopefully a Linden or two). Hockey Night In Canada was down there so it was a little more packed than usual. That just added to the excitement.

I picked up a bit of a mish-mash of cards. A few masks, a couple Cup Raisers, some cards for my One Sheet, One Set project and even a Linden (although I already had it).

Overall, it was a fun afternoon.

While scanning in some of my goods, I decided to throw this set in that I picked up during my time off from work. It's not really a 'box break' so I'm calling it a review.


2010/11 Panini All Goalies

This product is essentially a factory set. No packs were released.

I had heard about this all goalie release and was immediately intrigued, but the lack of mask shots left me holding off on picking it up.

When I saw that it was marked down almost half price, I bit.


The set consists of 100 cards (89 of them current NHLers or those in the system). If you ever wanted a snapshot of the NHL goaltending depth chart at the time....this is your set.


The cards are a basic design and the photos aren't overly exciting, but they're not too bad. Consistent at least.

The player selection could have better. While some teams (like Calgary) are represented by only a pair of cards, other teams....


C'mon......really? FIVE CARDS? You couldn't drop one and add Leland Irving or something?

That's a little bit weak, especially when one of the players isn't even in game action.


I mentioned that the first 89 cards consist of current players. That leaves the remaining 11 for past stars.


Can't beat that. Some solid names in the abbreviated 'legends' portion of the product. Fuhr, Cheevers, Esposito, Roy, Barrasso, Potvin just to name a few.


This one's my favorite though. Can't beat a nice Richard Brodeur card. Especially when it contains a photo that I've never seen before.


Now in addition to your 100 card set, you also get 5 'randomly inserted' Up Close cards.


As you can see, Panini has added a black & white close up of the player on the right hand side of the card. Kind of a nice bonus and adds some excitement to the break as opposed to just having a predetermined factory set.

I use the words 'randomly inserted' loosely. Here are my other 4 cards...


Riiiiiiiight.

I guess it could have been worse. Did you see the Sharks fab five?


Lastly, if these 105 cards aren't enough for you, there's one more piece of cardboard in the box.


And it's got a piece of jersey attached to it.

I've seen a nice jersey piece of Pekka Rinne's come from this product, so getting just a shlub jersey isn't always what you can expect.

And Kipper isn't the worst pick out of the bag.


Overall, this is a nice product, nothing fantastic or mind-blowing. It retails for about $20-25. I picked mine up for $15 (and that's the max I would pay for the product). If you can find a box out there for $10 or less - snag it. It beats a lot of the blaster boxes out there and you are guaranteed a complete set.

3.5 out of 5

8 comments:

  1. the set included every goalie who had played in the nhl the season previous. And only goalies who had played.
    Guys like Irving were not allowed in teh set as he had never played in the NHL before.
    They used the retirees as filler.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could use the Wings' Up Close parallels (especially the Howard) if you're willing to trade them. Shoot me an email if you want to maybe work something out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're the first person I thought of when I pulled the Wings cards.

      We'll chat soon.

      Delete
  3. In my opinion it's a nice set to send out for ttm's and trying to get the whole set autographed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea Kevin. I think the card design lends perfectly to an autograph project. Thanks for pointing that out.

      Delete
  4. I am pretty sure that Game S from the 1967 playoffs was a semi-final against the Black Hawks played on April 11, 1967 (the first home playoff game). That years the playoff tickets were lettered S-Z (a total of 8 possible games) and only S-W were used, with W being the cup winner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm assuming you're talking about the custom Leafs ticket card I made. Interesting information. Thanks very much.

      Delete