Monday, February 27, 2012

Custom Creations - Trying Something Different, AGAIN

Since showing off the Toronto Maple Leafs 1967 ticket stub card I assembled last month, I've received a number of requests for creating custom cards. Something that I've been slowly wanting to do more of.

That means, spending some time each week trying to come up with new ideas and new looks. The last thing I want to do is come off looking like I reuse my design templates.

My most recent creation took a few attempts and a number of head scratches. It's a Daniel Sedin cut autograph card. The challenge was that the person wanted the inscription as well as the autograph included in the card.

That's a lot of card needing to be cut out in order to fit everything in. I had a heck of a time trying to just get a photo to fit on the front of the card, let alone logos or names, etc.

Tonight though, I had a 'Eureka!' moment. I tried a couple versions of my design and sure enough, it's going to work.

Here's the first attempt at it.


Can you say 'tallboy'?

This solves the problem of needing space to fit everything in on the front of the card.

As well, I tried something different with the autograph area. I didn't want to do the normal circle or rectangle and I've done the 'follow the shape of the autograph' thing a couple times.

Here, I use the shape of what's written to dictate the cut area, yet maintain a more basic shape.

Again, a little tweaking to the size, color, contrast and so forth, but I think this card can be finished for the weekend.

I'm excited to see what the end result will look like.

2 comments:

  1. Very cool idea. Certainly allows for more flexibility with larger signatures and gives you a chance to have a nice large photo with the player...

    Love the layout!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Really nice thinking Brett! The circle shape works perfectly and the colours are spot on to what I like! Thanks so much and I can't wait to see this bad boy all done!! THANKS!

    ReplyDelete