Sunday, April 1, 2012

Custom Creations - Hunger Games

It was time to dust off the ol' laptop and truck on over to my sister's place tonight for a custom card making party with my niece.  She's designed some strong looking Twilight cards in the past (and her uncle has procrastinated in getting more done with her) so it was a nice surprise when she asked if we could put that project aside to come up with a Hunger Games concept.

For those of you who live on the moon (or are not a 14 year old girl), the Hunger Games is THE movie to see this year (and the books are pretty good too....I'm just starting the second in the trilogy).   It was an instant hit (we went opening night to a jammed packed theatre) and it looks like the popularity isn't slowing down.

What I really liked about working on this custom template is that my niece did 95% of the computer work.  And she's really got a knack for Photoshop.  I even left the laptop over there so she could give the next card a try on her own (good luck).

I was pretty pumped when at the end of the night, she was proudly displaying this card....

Jennifer Lawrence plays the lead role of Katniss Everdeen.  The idea here is to fire off a couple copies to her through the mail and have her sign right over her name (much like the Twilight cards did).  I think the result would look pretty stunning.


I really like that she kept the back simple and straight forward.  A good example of 'less is more'.  She's got a few more she'd like to get done and I hope she takes the initiative in building them.  Once you have the template, it's pretty easy to swap out the photos and text.

(Now that I look at it again, I'm wondering if the movie title should go somewhere on the back.........just a suggestion - in the end it's your call kiddo).

Now I have to get busy assembling some cards.  Fingers crossed that Jennifer doesn't have a crate full of autograph requests (good luck there).

Nice job kiddo!  You should be proud of what you created tonight.

3 comments:

  1. Dude I want a Katniss card! Let me know if you get Jennifer to sign one, I'm becoming quite a big fan of hers.

    Your niece did a great job with these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think she had some really cool ideas and was happy with the result. She's pretty proud of it too.

      I will definitely be updating when she makes more and when they are sent off.

      Let's hope for some big returns!

      Delete
  2. Im not a 14 year old girl...I'm a 17 year old boy and the hunger games are freakin awesome! The books way better than the movie though...

    ReplyDelete