Thursday, February 28, 2013

12 in 12 - February Review

Well, my comment at the end of my January review was "a real strong start".  That had some double meaning referring both to the book I read and the year-long goal I've set for myself.

And if January's page turner wasn't enough, February's book might just go down as one of the best I've ever read.

If every sports bio I read is as good as the one I just finished tonight....then reading might just become my new passion.

February's book was Andre Agassi's story...

Open
Andre Agassi
386 pages

What looks like an unassuming read based on sheer size of the book (at least in paperback form) quickly became an in-depth look at the life of one of tennis' polarizing figures.

Before I knew it I was knee deep in a story that had so many layers and chapters that I just couldn't put it down.

From his early days (and I mean early) being coached by his strict and demanding father to his rebellious relationship with trainer Nick Bollettieri, we learn quickly just how much Andre truly hates tennis.  We hear of his attempts to be out of the limelight and yet finds himself in the company of Barbara Streisand and Brooke Shields.  It feels as though Agassi leaves no stone left unturned.

His computer-like recall of the dozens and dozens of matches shared in the book really adds depth and body to his career in tennis.  His early success, struggles to find his game and eventually his breakthroughs on the grand stages, Agassi shares it all.

He pulls no punches and asks for no apologies.  From family to tennis Andre truly does open up to what his life has given him - and in some instances taken away.

It's a book I found often I couldn't put down.  An easy read, it's got a lot of meat and potatos to it.  By the end I really felt like I got to know and understand the tennis pro, his team and the person away from the court trying to find who he is.

Highly, highly recommend it.

5 out of 5 (and yes, I feel it deserves it)


March's book...

The Card
Michael O'Keeffe and Teri Thompson

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed Agassi's book, too. Super easy to get in to that one! Made me youtube some of his old matches to relive his glory days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Agassi book is an amazing read. Truly 'Open' I thought.

    ReplyDelete