Sunday, February 10, 2013

PACK RIPPING - National Hockey Card Day

Saturday was Canada's National Hockey Card Day.  It's been around for a few years now but this was the first time I actually took advantage of the free pack handout at the local card store.  In fact, I went to two different establishments so I doubled up.

While I think the concept of complimentary handout packs are great, I can't help but think of some who really took advantage of the freebies.  In addition to stores offering a pack to anyone entering their store, Toys 'R Us and London Drugs outlets around town had free oversized cards being handed out to people stopping by their store too.

I heard stories of people just driving from shop to shop, store to store so they can maximize their collection.  Hopefully the various outlets had enough product for everyone who came in.

I even saw complete sets already up for sale.  A little bit of a bad taste in my mouth over that one, but I guess it's inevitable.  If some people have stuff...they'll try to sell it.

Anyways, let's get on to looking at what cards I received in my packs.

There are 5 cards in each pack and a checklist of 15 cards all together.  A 16th bonus card was handed out to anyone who purchased product.

I busted 4 packs of Heroes & Prospects at each location.

The cards all depicted players in their Team Canada garb.  I'm not sure if this was done because of the NHL lockout or if this was done purposefully from the start.  Regardless, it made for a cool little set.

The first 5 cards on the checklist are the Canada's Rookies.  They consist of Jaden Schwartz, Tyson Barrie, Carter Ashton, Mark Stone and Casey Cizikas.

I'll admit, some of these guys I've never heard of but if they're on a limited set as this (and in Team Canada gear) one has to think they've got some solid potential.

The next 5 guys are the current superstars.  The Pride Of Canada grouping consists of Sidney Crosby, Jarome Iginla, Jordan Eberle, John Tavares and Martin Brodeur.

It's really cool to see these guys in Team Canada wear.  Takes me back to some really cool international hockey memories.

And speaking of memories.  The last 5 are tops on the list.  The Hockey Heroes subset includes Bobby Orr, Joe Sakic, Eric Lindros, Mario Lemieux and Wayne Gretzky.

Or in other words.....schlubs.

I really like the Orr card.  It's a shame he didn't more opportunities in international play.  Dang injuries.  The photo used on his card is so cool.  Love the jersey style, the wood stick, his gloves and of course the helmetless hair.  Cool.

That leaves us with the ever popular bonus card.  Memorable Moment?  Um....yeah.  One of the greatest hockey moments I've ever seen.

1987 Canada Cup....Gretzky to Lemieux.  Sweet.

Well, hopefully you got a chance to partake in the events on Saturday and received some cool freebies.  To those of you in the States, I believe your NHCD is this weekend.  And the cards are completely different for you guys.

Fun stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment