Wednesday, January 29, 2014

LINDEN CARD(s) OF THE WEEK - It's Been A Slow January

Well hello.  Long time, no see.  I hope all is well.

Yup, it's been three full weeks since I last posted here and I chalk it up to a big dose of laziness (and a bit of a lull in my collecting right now).  And I've got zero problems with that.

With two trade nights and a monthly card show under my belt this past month and nothing to show for it other than a less-than-stellar Decades 90s box break (I think I'm done opening that stuff....even if it's nicely on sale), I've been playing the spectator more often than not.  A little check on the overall financial picture (and a bit of a dent from Christmas) made me scale back a bit over the past few weeks.

There have been a number of cards that have popped up on ebay, but I've been finding that either they are ridiculously priced or ones that just don't have that "must have" appeal to them.

I've spent a bit more time away from cards too.  Reading quite a bit (just finished Chris Nilan's book.....good read) and spending a lot of time with my niece and nephew (I splurged for a yearly membership to the local leisure centre for all of us...my nephew and I have been doing the Sunday morning badminton routine and loving it).

Anyways, back to cards.  I'm still enjoying the hobby...my projects and am actually thinking of starting up another side set.  I'll share the details soon enough.  But my main player collection is one that has got me focused and interested as always.

Linden is in the new Upper Deck SP Game Used product - and in a way that I absolutely love.  One base card and one gold auto parallel.  That's it.  Simple and with a bit of a chase.  Not too hard on the wallet either (that's always appreciated).  The 27-card pursuit of a certain product is a stark reminder of what over-saturation there is in the hobby so it's nice to see a very considered release.

I've also had a couple cards come my way (never too quiet for me eh?) and so I'm excited to share them.

2012/13 ITG Decades 90s

Franchises w/ Bure, Odjick and Messier
#F-13 Gold Version Fall Expo 1/1


Speaking of the 27-card chase in a product, this Decades 90s release got a whole lot more funky when I found out that there's a Fall Expo redemption 1/1 card for almost every single card released.  So that means my 27 has turned into 48.  Yucky!

Add to that the fact that one seller has most of these cards and has been listing them at some high prices, it makes the desirability factor go down exponentially.

I picked up this one only because it was a low enough price for my liking (and I'm sure the January lull helped).  I'm definitely not in a rush to pick all of these ones up.  I would however like to keep tabs on where they all end up.

Oh, ny the way.......Messier = YUCKY!!!

2012/13 Panini Limited
#187 Captains Green (Emerald)  /5

Now this card was a nice grab this month.  Sure it's one of those dreaded parallels with nothing but a color shift to it, but still it's out of 5 and it was on the list.

I picked it up for what I would consider to be the max I'd pay for such a card (but was mere seconds away from a huge steal.....darn the guy who bid at the last second).  I received the help of another Linden collector to secure the deal and his assistance is always very much appreciated.

I like what Panini did with the Limited product this past year.  A lightly broken product made it a tougher find for some singles but the designs looked decent and the chases were reasonable.

Funny thing is with all the cards I've been chasing from this release, it's the easiest one I have left to get.  A Linden/Kassian dual /199.  That's just me being lazy (and hoping I'll be able to eventually trade for it locally).

Well, that's it for now.  I don't expect it'll be 3 weeks again between posts.....but if it is - HA!

Have a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment